Monday, October 05, 2009

Condolences to Kathy Sinnott

I've just heard the awful news that 22 year old Kevin Sinnott, son of the wonderful Kathy Sinnott, former Irish MEP, disability-rights campaigner and staunch defender of Chinese women and all those oppressed by population-control regimes, died two Fridays ago in a freak swimming accident in Georgia, USA. Kevin was a final year philosophy student at the Southern Catholic College in Georgia.

Kathy spoke movingly at Kevin's funeral last week:

"We almost lost Kevin five months before he was born, then four months before and three months before. He was the only one (of my children) who was over-eager and wouldn't stay put. I remember lying in hospital saying to him, 'Just stay put, just sleep, just get to birth, get to baptism and stick around for a while, and that's what he did'."

Poignantly, a remarkably stoic Ms Sinnott told the congregation at her son's Requiem Mass at St John's Church in Carrigaline in Cork that she had taken out the phone to ring Kevin for some advice on the night he drowned last week.
She said her son was always there for his friends and had even set up a group at the college to help teach other struggling students.
"As a mum, I could tell you every detail of the baby Kevin and the child Kevin -- what he ate, how he slept. But I had to listen to his friends to find out more about the person he had become and that was one of the most important things over the last 10 days.
"We are so sad and we are going to miss him bu
t I am so grateful and a little sad but part of me is incredibly happy. What does any parent want? Their child to be happy and to know they are happy forever," she said.

It's desperately sad. Kathy Sinnott is a lovely woman, she's an idealist in the best sense of the word. I remember speaking to her on the telephone a few years ago when she was supporting an amendment to the EU budget which would have defunded population-control programs involved in forced abortion and sterilisation, as all of them invariably are - the amendment was predictably voted down as was the one she put forward last October - and she was wonderful.
"I'm, er ... um ... an ... er ... seamless-garmenter," I stammered. " (Seamless-Garmenters are left Pro Lifers, kind of Justice 'n' Peace types but with charm and style).

Kathy was great. "I love seamless-garmenters," she declared. "Seamless-garmenters make the best Pro-Lifers."

There are many things which make Kathy Sinnott a remarkable woman; her courage, her selflessness, her steadfast, deeply-held, humanitarian principles but most of all for me it's the internationalism of her Pro Life values. For Kathy, an injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere and something she cannot tolerate.

Kathy, our hearts are with you.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord
And let perpetual light shine upon him
May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger B.A. Kemple said...

Maria,

I'm a student at Southern Catholic, a good friend of Kevin (or at least I considered him one of my best friends), and was one of the five there when he drowned.

Kathy is indeed a wonderful woman, and her mere presence, letalone her sapient words, gave great consolation to all of us here. Kevin was as much my family as my natural brothers and sisters, and I can't go more than a minute without mourning my friend. Consequently, your prayers, and your support of Kathy, are consolation to me, and - though I cannot speak for them - surely to the rest of us who are enveloped in the loss of a man unlike any others. Yet most grateful are we to God, Who, despite the evident tragedy of this incident, clearly ordained Kevin's passing from this world to that which is far greater. As one who was there, I can say that as deaths go, Kevin's was as perfect as any young man's could be.

Requiescat in pace.
Pax Domini.

10/07/2009 11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, you don't know me but my name is emma and I am kevin's little sister,i am 16 and the youngest in our family, I stumbled across this while trying to find the website my oldest brother set up for kevin. I was really really touched by your kind words for my mother and your prayers for my kevin bear, this has been the hardest thing we have ever done and it's people like you with your kind words that make it that tiniest bit easier, so thank you very very much.
Kevin was an amazing person, full of life and vibrance, incredibly sweet and hilariously funny. But I am not gonna try to describe him it would take too long and I don't think I could do him justice.

So thank you
Emma Sinnott

P.S please keep up the prayers

10/28/2009 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home